Note to all out there: if you're ever on a bus from Manchester to Sheffield, don't DON'T fall asleep, cos the view is just gorgeous! Especially if you like sheep as much as Ewe (Rachel Foong). Its some sort of national park thingy, I forgot the name. Absolutely gorgeous!
Neways, Algene met with me at the bus station and showed me around Sheffield. Kept on reminding myself to buy some cutlery back for my mom but forgot to do so. Ish. Was a good thing too, considering how many things I've already purchased.
So yeah, we went around Sheffield town and she brought me to a botanical greenhouse thingy with kononnya 'exotic' plants, which are pretty much common plants back home in Malaysia.
Algene and I at Sheffield's version of the Eden Project
sunbathing at the park...
We also went to the park, which was really nice with water fountains. Snapped some pictures before she showed me around the Sheffield Uni campus. Oh, it seems that Arthur's brother is also taking reading engineering there. Haven't seen that guy for awhile, not since a few years ago at MBS. Too bad he was home in Malaysia for the summer hols, else could've met up with him.
The campus is very nice! I could just imagine Wee Giap around the place, he speaks so fondly of it everytime he talks about UK. Sigh, I miss Wee Giap as well... wonder how he's doing.
Sheffield union...
Walked around a bit and then we got pretty hungry so went to this English pub place for some good ole wholesome British grub, damn sedap, i tell you, I had 'Smothered Chikin', which was basically chicken covered with mushrooms cooked in garlic, shallots and herbs, while she had the Pork rib in barbeque sauce. Really really good stuff.
the barbequed pork ribs were excellent!
as was the smothered chikin...
While eating we exchanged gossip about the people we knew, or used to know, how some people have changed and some people have gotten married with children. I can't believe I'm already 22 sometimes. Its like age catches up really fast and things pass in a blink of an eye that you just can't believe it. Growing up is scary. Seeing the people you've known change, seeing the changes thats been happening in your life, it's sometimes unbelievable. I can't believe Li Mei is already married, or that Denise already has a 2 year old daughter, and she's a year younger than me. So many of my friends are already engaged or already thinking of getting engaged. Its all happening so unbelievably fast!
After that, Algene brought me to visit the Sheffield Uni Arts tower. Main attraction? Lifts with no doors! It was an experience! So cool! I wasn't the least scared! *brags like a brave kid*
Look ma, no doors!
More tour around Sheffield town and it was unbelievably hot, so we took a timeout break for a much needed Starbucks ice blended. Starbucks is sight for sore eyes man. After so long without Starbucks, I almost always stop for a mocha ice-blended every time I come across one. Algene had to agree, cos before that they only had Costa coffee in Sheffield. She said something really cute: "Starbucks is a sign of civilisation", which is pretty much true, come to think of it. Plymouth aint civilised yet, methinks. I wish they'd quickly open a Starbucks franchise in Plymouth as well!!!! Or a Coffee Bean. I love love love the tiramisu at Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf.
Starbucks, the poster child of globalisation
Before long, it was time to leave and say goodbye. We trudged halfheartedly back to the bus station and said our goodbyes with heavy hearts. But not before we took our last picture together!
Sigh, Algene, Algene, so fast gonna graduate. We're all growing up aren't we? No longer carefree students whose only worry was what to wear to class and assignments. Soon we're gonna have to think about work, impossible-to-please bosses, rents and bills. And I'm seriously just not ready for all those just yet. I don't know if I ever will. In my heart I'll always be the little girl who plays with my Barbie dolls and watches Care Bears, Smurfs and Thundercats. In my heart I'll always be the little girl who wished the Wishing Chair would just one day appear in front of my window and bring me to a world of Vishes.
I used to keep a jar full of vishes. Every time I made a wish I'd write it down on a slip of shiny paper and keep it in the jar... one day i'd like to open it up and read what I used to wish for. Hehe.
Anyways I digress.
Yeaps, so I went back to Manchester afterwards and met up with the guys for dinner at Bella Italia. Good Italian food, I'd recommend it any day. And the service was excellent! We actually just asked for more sauce on our spaghetti and the chef acutally made up new ones for us! And the waitress was really nice and friendly, too.
We had a good time there, cracking stupid singh jokes: 'what do you call a lost singh? - missing' and stupid corny jokes like that.
On the way back we bought some beer so that we could get totally smashed when we get back, since I was going off to London the next day.
And do you know what we do when we get drunk? We ask each other general knowledge questions. Talk about nerdy!
We asked each other about currency, had complete the nursery rhymes quizzes, and played match the Greek hero with the myth, ie: who is Medusa? What is she famous for, etc etc etc. And guess what?
I WON!!!
Yeesh, I'm too nerdy to be true. Cheh.
No comments:
Post a Comment